Monday 29 April 2019

Ableism, Plastic Waste and Everything


So, a phrase I use a lot is “every day ableism”. If you’re wondering what I mean by that you’re in luck, I’m about to tell you. Every day ableism is the little stuff, those small, seemingly trivial things that your every day abled person doesn’t think twice about. Think parked cars on the pavement, high bar tops in the pub, that sort of stuff.

Today the every day ableism we’ll be talking about is the conversation around reducing your carbon footprint and single plastic usage. I want to start this off by saying I am in no way anti environmentalism. I’ve been recycling my whole life, I shout at people for littering and I regularly rant about how disgusting it is that humans are destroying the Earth. I am, however, quite saddened by how much of the conversation around reducing our carbon footprint and use of single use plastic is inherently ableist. I’ve found several of the most common suggestions made to make yourself greener and I’ll be pointing out the everyday ableism present. Ready? Ok.

1.    Walk and cycle to where you want to go (school, work etc). Avoid driving as much as possible.

I’ve started out nice and simple with this one. I’m sure even the most ignorant person in the world could see the everyday ableism in this one. As much as I would love to be able to walk down to my local town centre or jump on a bike to go see my friends, I cannot. Because I am disabled. Also because I never learned to ride a bike but primarily, it’s because I’m disabled. Even on the days where I have enough energy to get up and leave the house, there is no way I would be able to walk for that long. I rely on being driven places, whether that be in a car or on public transport. There are so many people for whom not using a CO2 producing petrol wagon is not an option.

2.    Buy your produce from a local farm/market.

This one really irritates me every time I hear it. So many people of us disabled folk cannot get to a local farm or market. Particularly if we’re expected to walk or cycle to it. Even once they were there, the economic inactivity rate (not in work and not looking for it) for working aged people with disabilities is 44.2%. Our benefits are in the process of being messed about so many of us are skint. The employment rate for disabled people is 50.7% versus 81.1% for able bodied people [source]. You think we can afford to pay the price of produce at a local farm?

3. If buying local isn’t an option, do not buy pre-prepared, plastic laden fruit and veg.

That pre-prepared fruit and veg that people love to demonise is an absolute lifesaver for many disabled people. If you’re fatigued, it takes a tiring step out of making dinner. If your grip or dexterity is not great, preparing fruit and vegetables is really tough. If you aren’t able to reach the fruit/veg of your choice because supermarkets stack the containers so they’re sometimes completely inaccessible to disabled people, you can still have the thing you want. What are we supposed to do, if we’re not buying the pre-prepped stuff in plastic? Never eat certain fruit or veg again?   

4. Get the loose stuff, put it in a paper bag and prepare yourself at home.

So, I should say that I use a walking stick to get around. As such, I only ever have one free hand when I’m out and about. If you are able bodied, I want you to try and imagine being in a supermarket and attempting to get one of those little produce bags, open it, pick out your produce, bag it up then put it in a basket/trolley all with one hand. Sound like a nightmare? Now try and imagine doing that with a paper bag, a bag you cannot turn inside out to aid in the picking up process, a bag with no handles to hook your hand through, a bag that could quite easily tear at any point during this process requiring you to start over again. Do you get what I mean? Also, see my point above about people who cannot prepare fruit and vegetables themselves.

5.    Take showers rather than baths.

Showers are great aren’t they? You get to stand there as the water cascades around you, it loosens up your muscles and you can do that thing where it looks like jets of water are coming out of your fingers. Unless, like me, you can’t stand up in the shower. As a result, I take baths. I have adapted stuff in my bathroom that makes the whole process easier but I do have to bath rather than shower and this is the case for a lot of people. Yes, you can get shower seats but many people can’t use those due to not being able to get themselves on/off the seat/their shower not being the right size/needing assistance washing and bathing.

6.    Avoid/ban all single use plastic.

I saw a wonderful Twitter thread today by @thelionmachine wherein they discussed how people are advocating for the ban of single use plastics without considering how we would then keep medical equipment/procedures sterile and safe. It got me thinking about just how much single use plastic I deal with every day via my medication. I will not bore you with the details of every single bit of medication I am on, suffice to say that is is A Lot. And almost every single one of those medications comes in non-recyclable plastic packaging. Is that a problem, all that single use plastic? Absolutely. But what’s the alternative? Medication needs to be kept in a sterile environment, a lot could go wrong if it was not. Could I have a single container and then go to the pharmacy when it was running low to get it refilled? Theoretically yes, except this would require an overhaul of how pharmacies work as well as relying on me being well enough to go to the pharmacy before my meds run out. Even if I managed to avoid single use plastic in every other aspect of my life, I would still generate more than all of that combined through simply needing to take my medication on the daily.

And that’s just a few of the points brought up in this plastic reduction and carbon footprint conversation. Do I think anyone arguing those points is being intentionally discriminatory against people with disabilities? I do not. But the whole idea of everyday ableism is that people simply do not consider how things affect us. The discrimination comes from us not being considered at all.

I’m going to keep doing these everyday ableism posts. If there’s even the slightest chance that an abled bodied person will stumble across them and go “huh, I never thought of it like that” or a disabled person finds them and can relate, it’s worth it.

I hope I've given you something to think about. I also hope you've got a nice dinner tonight.

Talk to you later!

Emma 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment